By Hand: Handmade elements in graphic design

Handmade design:

Despite advances being made in digital technology, we still love analogue/hand produced designs.They feel and look more ‘human’, we want nostalgia and realness. This way of producing design work seems more original as there are many ways to do it and you’re not relying on a computer but doing things for yourself.

I would like to produce something by hand to create an original piece, even if the design is digital, perhaps for the form to be hand produced.

These two original designs are contemporary analogue design created using collage:

Scaan

An Exhibition Flier for Yokohama Museum of Art by Surmometer inc.

This piece is quite crude in layout but it works well. It’s unique and the markings left are part of the piece, contributing to its originality. The layout works well too. I really like how printmaking and colour have also been used. It’s quite decorative and the hierarchy also works well, separating the title and exhibition information format he body copy. This has made me think about using handmade graphics to produce my piece perhaps.

Scan

An Invitation for DESPERADO [Aparrel] by LOOK inc

I really like how circles have been used to create this piece, they work really well and so do the circles designed and collaged on. By only using a few colours the piece is quite simple, but very bold and effective. I also like how the text follows the circles and takes you through the piece and guides you where to go. Heirachy with text, again works well here, separating titles and information from body copy clearly. Some titles are harder to rea don different backgrounds though, I will try to avoid this in my piece. But I want to experiment with using circles, especially as my object, a coin is also a circle.

Source:

• ‘By Hand: Handmade elements in graphic design’. (Pie Books, Tokyo Japan, 2009)